Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

So what to do with all the lovely strawberries we gathered for my birthday?

I hate super sugary strawberry pies but I sure do love pie. I saw some rhubarb at the farmers' market and thought that it would go beautifully with fresh, sweet, strawberries. So, pie it is!

Start by washing the rhubarb.


Slice the rhubarb diagonally in half inch pieces to expose the most surface area.


Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/4 cup cornstarch (or 1/2 cup tapioca starch). You can add up to another 1/2 cup of sugar if your strawberries aren't as sweet or you just prefer it sweeter. Stir.


I was lazy for this round and used store-bought refrigerator pie dough. I suggest the pillsbury brand dough (you'll need two boxes). I tried a different brand and the dough was on the soggy side-probably because it used all shortening instead of some butter. Pat into a rimmed baking sheet. I believe this is a 9" x 12" sheet.


Place the pie sheet in the refrigerator if it's quite warm out and make sure your oven is preheated to 375 degrees. When ready, pour the filling into the shell and try not to mound it too high.


Use an egg wash around the edges of the dough and top with another layer of dough. You can get fancy and make a lattice top but here, I just covered it the best I could, crimped the edges well and rolled it inward to keep juices from flowing off the pan and burning in the over. Slice some vents in the top.


I also brushed the top with egg wash and sprinkled it with some sugar. Feel free to use white, brown, or turbinado sugar.

Forty to fifty minutes later, you get this:


IMPORTANT: Do not slice into this pie until completely cool. This may take up to 24 hours.

I had extra filling so I made a 9 inch round pie too. If you have a crowd to feed or you especially like a higher ratio of crust to filling, the slab pie is the way to go. If you like more filling, go with the round pie.


I topped this round pie with vanilla pudding filling but cool whip would work well too.

Take a bite! Rhubarb really brings out a true strawberry flavor.


Enjoy!
Sugar*mama

1 comment:

  1. Those look amazing!! Especially since I've been craving berries and fruit. Good thing the summer season is bringing ripe peaches and nectarines. Can't seem to get enough. Yum!

    ReplyDelete